1.05.2022

Before he expires

 I read with pleasure the NYT article. For a long time I was telling friends about being surprised   that Americans do not keep or do not display their books. I had noted this fact even before the books went digital or e-something.on line, Yes, I have my own 1,000 books library. The bookshelves are probably the most expensive piece of furniture in my apartment. Have books in several languages, including a collection of Rilke poems  in German, hoping that one day I will learn that language. I look at the unread books  and wonder if I will ever.... Standing crowded on the shelves, they give me some kind of purpose to live to get to consume them. Like the exlibris quoted in the NYT piece 

This book belongs to the
Rev. Reid Byers,
Who still hopes to read it
Before he expires.

A couple of days later, I heard in a  podcast, a personality I respect explaining that after a certain age you don't need to read new books. Just keep a few to read again and again. Strange statement, as the guy is the Chief Editor of a select publishing house...When asked what are his few books, he mentioned Cioran (sure) and Seneca (come on! pretentious).  Not impressed! I stand by my books. For full disclosure  - I get them from my building's laundry room, where they are discarded by other tenants.

No comments: